Time Management Lessons Learned and Documents

What worked
1) Combined school and project calendar – combining important schedules made it easier to plan
2) Detailed and comprehensive schedule for times with a lot of interrelated tasks by several people – Zooming-in the most critical days (getting the materials and volunteers from Manila to Sto. Domingo)
3) You don't need MS Project!
I prefer to use the simplest tool I can use to accomplish a task. In this case, I used a spreadsheet for the schedule. In my opinion, you only need to use MS project (or other specialized PM software) when:
  • There are a lot of tasks distributed to many resources
  • You need to make repeated computations that are automated by PM software (e.g., Earned Value, resource billing)
What didn't work
1) What is useful for the project manager may not be useful for others - The detailed and comprehensive schedule was very useful for me as a project manager. However, it did not work for one of the people responsible. The leadership personnel exchange at the middle of the workcamp was a bit complicated (a four-man exchange with a requirement that at least two are always present in the site). I had to go home 1 day earlier than planned :-( since there was a miscommunication. I should have made a clearer schedule model just for the personnel exchange.

Documents

Back to the table of contents

No comments: